March 08, 2008

The Slaughter Mouse Club

Reading Alan Weisman's The Earth Without Us was like being sanded on all edges. He wore down all my agitated, global frets. Microbes breaking down nuclear waste. Microbes breaking down those wretched, ubiquitous plastic shopping bags. They'll figure it out, no doubt... in a million years. A slightly reduced burden on the daily conscience.


Of particular revelation was the "lost menagerie" chapter and how the fabulous ground sloth, mammoths, and other megafauna disappeared in a brief timespan. One researcher felt humanity's arrival on the continent explains everything:


Check out the time line for added comfort: http://www.worldwithoutus.com/did_you_know.html

2 comments:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that combination of single-wire lines and flat colors, until the next one.
    It excuses my badly English.

    ReplyDelete